Home Office Energy Savings
Home office energy savings are free and easy. You don’t have to have a huge power bill, just because you work from home.
Office lights and equipment
- Eliminate the need to boot up your computer each morning, by adjusting the power management settings on your computer. You can choose the time delay for your computer to turn off the monitor, turn off hard disks, and enter sleep mode. Activating Power management features can cut the electricity used by PCs roughly in half.
- Put your computer or laptop into sleep mode when you’re away from your desk for more than a few minutes.
- Home office energy savings is as simple as turning off lights you’re not using (such as in hallways or bathrooms).
Setting up an office
Choose a small space for your home office that can be easy to heat on its own. You may not have the luxury of choosing where to site your home office but try moving your desk to a position that gets good natural light.
Heating and cooling
- The heat from the sun is free, so make the most of it. Open your curtains and let the sunlight in during the day to make use of this free heat. When it gets dark, shut your curtains, which act as another layer of insulation, and keep warmth in your rooms.
- In summer, use blinds and open windows to prevent overheating.
- Use fans instead of air conditioning to keep cool.
- Use thermostats to control heating and air conditioning.
- Turn off heating and air conditioning after hours and while windows and doors are open.
- If you have a heat pump or air conditioner, clean the filters regularly to keep it running efficiently and effectively.
Get the best energy price
Talk to your energy supplier to make sure you’re on the right pricing plan for your home. You might want to shop around using a comparison site such as Consumer’s Powerswitch to find and compare the best electricity and gas deals for you. Talk to AB Electrical today if you have any concerns regarding your electrical bills, phone 0800 688 244.